Our Open and Affirming Statement
We, as a diverse body of believers seeking to live in the light and image of God in Christ, do affirm:
- That everyone has worth as a special and unique creation made in God’s image;
- That in the Spirit of love, openness, and inclusiveness we welcome persons of every sexual orientation, race, nationality, ability, age, and gender to participate fully in all aspects of our Church’s life and ministry;
- That as agents of reconciliation and wholeness we embrace justice and seek to support all who suffer discrimination or who are disenfranchised from the religious community;
- That in light of the Gospel we will continue to comprehend and appreciate more fully our differences and gifts;
- That through grace our love for God and neighbor may flourish.
(source: First Congregational Church in Berkeley, CA. Adopted by their congregation 4/2/95. Used with permission.)